‘Fitness’ Has become a necessity in the current era. Unhealthy eating habits, improper sleeping pattern, stressful work environment and the way we are leading our lifestyle has a major impact on our health which passed on to our the next generation as well.
The sedentary routine paves the way for various diseases that can destroy your dreams. Our working hours not only have increased but also have become more of a mind game and a less of physical efforts day by day.
“To keep the body in good health is a duty, otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.” – Buddha
In such situations, being fit is a challenge. Still wondering why? The answer is only four words: Lack Physical Activity. Time constraint is the major factor responsible for the majority of people to be unfit. Have you heard of this saying — “necessity is the mother of all invention”? So which invention are we referring to here? It is one of the quintessential things in trend – “Activity Trackers”. Wearable market flooded with new fitness trackers every day, but how to choose the right one your lifestyle? No worries, here’s the fitness trackers buying guide for all ages.
What Is Fitness Tracker?
Fitness Tracker is a sensors featured device, which is used to measure your day-to-day activities. These devices monitor and record activities like running, walking, swimming, eating, Sleeping pattern and even calorie counting. Activity trackers range from basic models to high advanced, where it added with heartbeat and sleep patterns monitors.
So, how does a fitness tracker work? and what is the mechanism behind such a fine technology?. So let us unfold the truth behind them.
All activity trackers have inbuilt sensors, which has made all the measuring and monitoring of our physical activities a possibility. But, with a myriad of products in the market, how are you ever going to know which is the best for you?
To help you out here is a detailed buying guide, which tells you the right way to choose a fitness tracker based on your needs.
Needs For Having A Fitness Tracker
Before you head up to a store for buying a monitoring device, first comprehend your requirements. Do you need one? Or, you just buying for the sake everyone is wearing these days? If you are serious about keeping yourself fit, understand what a fitness tracker does and how it can help you in your day-to-day regime. Here are few points to make a note,
- It tracks all your daily activities: the number of calories you burn, the number of steps you take, sleeping patterns and so on.
- It motivates you to lead a healthy lifestyle.
- It helps you set goals and reminds you of them.
- It teaches when an activity needs to be performed and most importantly, how much.
- It is more like your personal trainer, who stays and guides you 24×7.
With fitness trackers, one can set goals on his road to fitness and show them the reality of where they are right now and where they want to be as a fit person. They are the best motivators one can ever have. Fitness trackers are portable. All you have to do is to wear them around your wrist or even hook it up. Meaning you will be in a continuous reminder of your activity from time to time.
How To Choose A Right Fitness Tracker?
Amidst such a great long range of trackers available in the market and even online, how will you choose a tracker, which is apt for you? Here are few points you should bear in mind apart from paying attention to the design and price.
Check Your Comfort Level
There are bands that come in the form of wearable wristbands or as clips. Since you will be wearing them throughout the day, choose the one you are comfortable wearing.
Look For The Motivational Factor
Look for a tracker that will motivate you. Say, for example; I love devices that have LED screens rather than the basic kinds (without any screen or display). Thye motivate me to do better. So, there must be something you love about them too.
Research And Read Different Reviews
Choose a device that has the least error rates, especially on a feature that you want. Recent studies have shown that majority of the trackers have an error rate of 12% to 15%. Hence, it is vital to read different reviews before making a final decision on the model.
This is a major one for all; fitness tracker comes in the various price range, from $20 to $500. So mind your wallet before even think about finalising the product.
Longer Battery Life
In an average, a fitness tracker can stay alive 6-7 days. So, go through specs and unboxing videos for ensuring the longevity of the battery.
Essential Reading: Best Fitness Trackers 2016: The Year Of Wearable Revolution
Top 3 Misconceptions About Fitness Trackers
Series of myths and misconception can surround anything, and fitness devices are not spare from it too. There is few misapprehension about the fitness trackers, which you should know before buying it. Few of them arise from the manufacturers and retailers themselves to make a hike in their sale while others spread with the misleading advertisements. Here are few of the wide facts lists:
1. Fitness device measures the breakdown of the performance of any sports: It is utterly false. Fitness devices can only monitor and measure the changes in your heartbeat and reports based on the individual’s movement with a sport he or she has played. Say, for example; football, swimming or volleyball.
2. All fitness devices can measure the speed and distance of an individual’s running, walking or cycling: Only devices which are GPS-enabled can do such recording on pace and distance of a person’s activity.
3. Devices can be charged through alternative source of energy such as sun rays, thermo-electric generators, and self-chewing (Weirdest of them all isn’t it?): There is no alternative source of energy to charge the device. The battery can be charged only via a USB cable or can be replaced after 6-8 months. (but remember, more models are coming out as time goes by and soon enough there will be a solar powered activity tracker).
So, what are you waiting for? It is time for you to spend few hours in the gym with your new fitness tracker, rather than sitting front of a monitor whole day. Knowing yourself is the best way to staying healthy and happy.
Also Read This: 8 Essential Tips To Find The Right Smartwatch For Your Lifestyle